Author Topic: CVT Gearbox Problem  (Read 1608 times)

Offline Kent

• Verified Member
  • Full Timer
  • It may be small but it is CREATIVE!
Re: CVT Gearbox Problem
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2006, 04:05:06 PM »
Wow what have happen ? keep on changing the same ' old gear bow' don't they really care to find out whats going on? TE in Sg is crap and  if you do not applied pressure ...... it could take days for a simple job

If the parts are malfunction or mechanically faulty, i doubt anyone can do anything, including the experts from BMW AG or Oxford Factory.  So long as brother Jackson & Matthew from MINI SIN acknowledges the problem, and get the parts replaced via warranty, I'm happy with it.

Offline Kent

• Verified Member
  • Full Timer
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2007, 02:30:22 PM »
As some of you are aware, I was driving a Rover 45, a 5 year old courtesy car from Mini.  Last Saturday, while visiting a friend at Bandar Kinrara, the Rover CVT gearbox encountered problem, where all of a sudden, the car became jerky while driving.  at first i thot the petrol gauge was faulty (the needle was at 1 quarter).  So, I stopped by Petronas, pump full tank, and all set to go.  However, I have difficulty starting the car!  After a few attempts, the car finally started!

but when the gear was engaged to "D", wow, the car is slower than a BMX bicycle!  When I step on the accelerator, it took at least 10 seconds for the car to move from 0 to 20km/h.  While on hwy, only can hit max 80km/h while on "D" but when on manual steptronic, it was OK, can go up to 120 km/h but I could feel the power is much lesser than the usual steptronic.

so, contacted MINI on the same Sat evening, and on sunday, they engaged Mon-Del towing services to tow the car back to DownSouth!

Pics attached.

Began to wonder if the CVT gearbox is a reliable one, coz 1 month ago, my bro in law's 3 year old Honda Jazz CVT gearbox also kaput - luckily can claim warranty.  Perhaps that's why MINI has discontinued the ZF CVT gearbox for the 07 MINI.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 02:33:24 PM by KL3223 »

Offline kevin_w

• Verified Member
  • Part Timer
  • tRuism or AltRuism
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2007, 02:39:16 PM »
Encountered similar problem...no problem with starting (i think tat one could be due to weak batt) but CVT gearbox does not seem to be responding i.e. almost crawling like tortise so have to play with steptronic...problem seem to have gone after a software upgrade. So far so good and hope it stays the way it is :hide: :victory:

Offline Kent

• Verified Member
  • Full Timer
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2007, 02:42:41 PM »
Encountered similar problem...no problem with starting (i think tat one could be due to weak batt) but CVT gearbox does not seem to be responding i.e. almost crawling like tortise so have to play with steptronic...problem seem to have gone after a software upgrade. So far so good and hope it stays the way it is :hide: :victory:
better pray hard brother, coz i have changed gearbox on my MINI 2x already, am using the 3rd gb now !  :supershocked:

Offline kevin_w

• Verified Member
  • Part Timer
  • tRuism or AltRuism
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2007, 03:07:34 PM »
wah don scare me...mine warranty over leow. For your then the more reason to upgrade to MCS before you MC warranty expires...imagine the bill then  :disbelief:

Offline Ray

• Verified Member
  • Occasional
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2007, 03:08:18 PM »
Sad to hear tat kent, hopefully they can fix yr prob asap.

I heard honda city also having the same problem :(

Offline jckl

• Administrator
  • Full Timer
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2007, 05:07:59 PM »
kl3223

What's the status on your MC? So you are wheel-less now?

(Sorry, got the answer from the other thread, no need to response.)

Offline pupjoint

CVT gearbox on the MINI Cooper
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2008, 05:23:32 PM »
hi guys, any idea what is the maintainece like on the MINI's CVT box?

what oil is used and how often it needs to be changed?

Offline tweiboon

« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2017, 11:15:52 PM »
After mini cooper r50 been borned until today i am sure most of the r50 cvt owners are facing the CVT is jerking below 20km/h, clink clink sound and slow engage from N from D, and also will facing if you sudden apply brake the gearbox is out of response. And some of them will facing when engage to D it will jerk for 1 time.

some workshops though it was cause by the valve body but after replaced the valve body the problems still occurred.

1 time jerk when engage to D is due to failure of Dual Mass Flywheel. Slow engage from N to D and other problems mentioned are cause by warned clutches. In order to change the 6 pcs of clutches, you have to dismantle the gearbox in order to replace it. After replaced the clutches it might still has little jerking, it need to clear the adaption and do the calibration again for the r50 to relearn it.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 11:19:25 PM by tweiboon »